Monday 11 April 2016

old age

Today at the old folks home, we had the most incredible encounter with an old man on a wheelchair. He could walk but he said he used it to move about. Easier for aging legs, I guess.

We had just left the management office when we saw him heading towards us. He extended his hand and jovially said, "thank you for visiting us".

Under the hot sun, I noticed his eyes seemed to fill up when he said that. This was the first time we had met him. Seeing what I'd perceived were tears, I'd thought he must be sad. Then he told us, he and his wife are living here together. "Oh, you are the couple I was told had chosen to live here!" I exclaimed. "Yes, and there's another couple here too" he replied.

Then, the stories started to pour out from him. We were still standing in the open, squinting our eyes and in vain, using our hands to shield ourselves from the glaring sun, until I invited him to move into the shade and nearer the office door. Thinking also that would remind him to be doing what he came to the office for and also so we can get to quickly complete our reason for going there today.

But in spite of the inappropriate timing and place, the stories continued.

Our responses to his stories began with childlike belief. Wide eyed "wow!" as he spoke, was part of it. Then as he went on, I started to have silent question marks in my head.

At the most he looked mid 70 to me. But he said, "No, I'm 97! That brought on our first "wow!" and our loudest too. Then followed by his advice on eating chilli leaves which he said he started at age 9, to maintain good eyesight, good skin. Lots of vegetables too and less meat. Alright, that's good to keep.

Then we began to hear other stuff. He's an English professor, had worked in China, Uganda, Nigeria; I can't remember where else! Studied in Colombia University, USA. He loved the East Coast, New Jersey, Seattle etc.

Then it got rather strange. He knows Tom Jones, Clint Eastwood, Dolly Parton, Olivia Newton John as friends. He had even advised Olivia on taking chilli leaves for her cancer. He said "Over the phone I'd told her, Olivia, it's chilli leaves..."

Now by this time, you the reader must be thinking, why are we still standing there listening to him? Believe it or not, that whole encounter probably took a little over 10 minutes at the most. That's how fast the stories gushed out. Besides, he seemed believable and deserving the benefit of a doubt. And anyway, what's a few minutes of our time?

I needed to find out, so I asked for his name but for reasons of privacy will not mention it here. Along with his name, he provided "information" that he writes articles for the Star, on the internet. I silently thought, I will look it up. Although the silent question marks in my head had lingered, yet what if his stories are real?

Even if his stories are not real, at least he found 3 pairs of listening ears and that's what he needed. I'm certain there will be part 2 to this encounter and hopefully we will then gradually know for sure and we will be able to separate the reality from the imagination.

Oh, and yes I did an immediate Google search at home, found a name, the one he gave and the writer is age 97! But I'm still incredulous because it still does not tally. So I'm in a position of wait and see. He deserves it.

One final thought, my own understanding of what people in their twilight years go through (especially without work to occupy time and families around to love and be loved) is now increasing little by little. It is helping me envision the time I will be that age, yes, we all will be that age, if not yet and if we are not "called home" earlier.The question is, if we are blessed to reach old age; how will we fare, whatever our lot then?

As for me, I'm already assured by God's words "Even to your old age I am the same, and to your grey hairs I will carry you: I have made you, and I will bear: I will carry and will save." (Isaiah 46:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment